Re: Ethics and Morals in Web Design

by "Kevin A. Jackson" <kevin(at)nvision.on.ca>

 Date:  Wed, 06 Mar 2002 16:07:40 -0500
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
One angle that has not been mentioned yet is the sensibilities of staff. We
have some very good people working here, and retaining them is a high
priority. As a result whenever we are approached by a client that may stray
into an area that will make them uncomfortable (for example soft-porn, or
religion), I ask them, privately, if they would be uncomfortable or not
working on this or that job. If they express any doubt, I do not take on
the client.

There may also be a liability issue here, at least in Canada, with
harassment. Is  it possible that forcing a staff member to work on
something that is objectionable to them on moral or personal grounds may
constitute harassment, either sexual, racial, religious, or just plain
wrongful dismissal?

That's one for the lawyers to debate.

Cheers

Kevin Jackson

--
Biz-Zone Internet Group Inc.
Web developers, publishers and consultants.