Re: Non competition agreements

by Stephen Johnston <pepe(at)gainsay.com>

 Date:  Wed, 01 Mar 2000 23:27:04 -0800
 To:  machodges(at)prontoservices.com,
hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Malcolm-

         No matter how much it hurts to say, thank god there is a lawyer on
the list. Talk to Ivan Hoffman.

No offense Ivan, I just can't resist a dig at lawyers... I pay them enough...

         My personal opinion is that you have to ignore the personal aspect
and figure out what the monetary gain is for pursuing a lawsuit and what
you will pay a lawyer to win the suit. Unfortunately you can't get blood
from a rock. (some of my friends on alt.alchemist.mystic disagree, but they
haven't been able to show me the blood)

         On a side note I have a question. As a consultant how many of you
will sign a non-compete like this? I would think that a blanket non-compete
would only apply to employees. As a consultant, I only agree to a transfer
of rights to delivered work. Which means I can not use the code and such
from a previous project, but I can use the experience and certainly
leverage that to competitors. Any thoughts?

-Stephen Johnston