Re: Closing the Deal......

by Rachel Hartman <rhartman(at)io.com>

 Date:  Mon, 20 Mar 2000 14:48:52 -0600
 To:  "Kevin Sweeney" <kevin(at)cdmteam.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:32 PM 3/20/00 -0500, Kevin Sweeney wrote:
>Does anyone offer anything, or have any sort of tactics to get them to get
>off the pot so to speak?

I don't know that I have a one-size-fits-all tactic ... I base my response
to them on how they're delaying things and why.  For instance, one of our
most recent clients kept on not getting back to me, even after I'd sent him
a worksheet pointing out exactly what I absolutely had to have from him,
and what stuff could wait until later, but he was sincere in his attempts
to keep the communication lines open.  As a result, their site went up this
month--it's smaller than originally planned, but it's up.

OTOH, there's the ex-client I've mentioned before on this list--gave me
*no* feedback for a gods-rotted year, despite numerous phone calls,
e-mails, and letters.  So I fired 'em.  Never heard a response to the
firing letter, small surprise.  But I fired them in accordance with the
30-day written notification clause in our contract--even gave them a
warning that such a letter would be coming to them.  They had every
opportunity to save our business relationship.

(Obligatory side note:  A good, solid contract should be your first line of
defense when it comes to client relations.)

If they haven't responded to phone or e-mail contact, I'd suggest writing
them a friendly business letter.  Something along the lines of how you know
they've been very busy, and you can't just keep leaving space in your
schedule for them because it's not fair to your other clients, so you'll
check with them again next month, but of course if they get their act
together before then, they are free to contact you.  (Only more
diplomatically phrased than what I've put here.)  Give them an exact date
for the tickle call, if you think it'll help.  The next month, if you
haven't heard from them, call them, remind them of your previous
letter.  If they still haven't gotten their stuff together, I'd be strongly
tempted to give up pursuing them.  If you want to abandon them, do so on
good terms.  They may come running back.

Good luck!

Rachel Hartman