Re: designing for IE and NS

by Bernie Mooney <bernie(at)cybernia.net>

 Date:  Wed, 24 May 2000 14:24:19 -0400
 To:  "Wolfgang G. Wettach" <wettach(at)gmx.de>
 Cc:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:14 PM 5/24/2000, Wolfgang G. Wettach wrote:
>Bernie Mooney schrieb:
> >
> > Having said that, I have a thing or two to say to those who raised the idea
> > of "lack of knowledge" as a reason for my problem.:
> > "f**k off". It may be wonderful to spend that extra time screwing around
>
>Maybe a bit inappropriate in style and tone for a business mailing list,
>don't you think?

Yes, and I profusely apologize.

>Without wanting to be derogative, maybe some of those comments mentioned
>above still could be right.
>Something like a back button has been supported by Netscape from 3.0 and
>earlier - just using javascript.

We've tried that and we even went to outside sources and we just couldn't
get it to work in NS. And NS 3.0 is awful with javascript

>There are Microsoft-specific codes that won't work with NS - but if you
>stick to (or, forgive me to say that, learn) coding for Netscape, it
>will look fine with most MSIE users too.

We don't use MS "specific" or at least not to my knowledge. I guess I'm
just going to have to bring someone on board that knows it already while I
delve into it.  I know that my two partners are in the same boat as I am.

>Use standards -like Javascript- not derivative works -like JScript- and
>you just have to learn it once.

We do.

>You can have as many bells and whistles as you want (and noone confines
>you to 256 colours - who told you that?). There is a difference between
>browsers, operating systems and screen resolutions as to how a site
>looks like, in detail, though. If you want to make sure: Tools like
>http://www.websitegarage.com give you the possibility to test what your
>site looks like for others.

 From everything I've read about NS it says the colors are limited and you
can see that when you try and design a custom color. that falls out