RE: Ethics and Morals in Web Design

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Wed, 06 Mar 2002 20:51:55 -0800
 To:  "HWG-Business(at)hwg.org" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "Brandon Coughlin" <bcoughlin(at)urx.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:49 PM 3/6/02 -0800, Brandon Coughlin wrote:

>whether or not you can require them to work on websites against their
>beliefs or morals.  I think it is all in how their job description is
>written (in my opinion). If they understand, before they take the job, that
>there is a potential for them to be working on websites that may not always
>be in line with their beliefs and morals, then I think you can hold them to
>it and require that they do their job.

If you are an employer you come under various state and federal EO laws
with respect to religion, sex, race, etc., with your employees, and
contractors.  You must accommodate their beliefs under the law.  Compelling
a person to perform work which is against their religious beliefs and you
cannot, or will not accommodate them, may subject you to prosecution under
those laws.

You also run a risk if you write a job description which may give an
appearance of discriminatory practices.  You cannot deny hiring someone
based upon religious beliefs, yours or theirs, except (if memory serves me
correctly) in narrowly defined areas.

Keep in mind workplace ethics are not the same as personal morality.  You
also run a serious risk if you attempt to impose your own moral standard
upon your employees.  Couching personal morality within an umbrella called
workplace ethics is also dangerous.

I am not criticizing Brandon's points but merely trying to show this area
of employment is walking on egg shells.  If your organization is going to
have a strong workplace ethic, and there are issues with religion,
political belief and similar areas, talk to a competent lawyer well-versed
in the subject area.  You may have all the best intentions in the world,
for you, your organization, your employees and your contractors, but it
must be within the law during all stages of the business.

Kukla