Re: designing for IE and NS

by Mike Schienle <mgs(at)ivsoftware.com>

 Date:  Tue, 23 May 2000 18:15:21 -0700
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 6:09 PM -0600 5/23/00, Tony King wrote:
>HTML is not intended for a single browser.  I think (approx) 4 out of 10
>users is a statistically significant number.  (rescuing this discussion
>by bringing business into the the fray) I wouldn't want to have to
>explain to a client that almost 40 per cent of the world couldn't see
>why s/he had paid $X for his/her web site--especially if the client is
>one of those who prefers NS.
>
>That's why, although we build on Macs, we also test on Windoze and Linux.

I do the same thing. I have Linux, Windows 95 and Windows NT all
running via Virtual PC to test against. The nice thing about Virtual
PC is you can switch each environment in about 15 seconds. That makes
up for the slowness of having to use an emulator.

>  > ... The survey
>  > also reported that 73% of companies  have a corporate browser policy. 69%
>  > dictate use of IE.

I've worked at companies that do not allow IE due to security risks
on the networks. Also, IE is not available for as many UNIX systems
as NS. Admittedly, these UNIX systems represent a very small number
of the browsing public.
--

Mike Schienle                                 Interactive Visuals, Inc.
mgs(at)ivsoftware.com                  Remote Sensing and Image Processing