RE: My page

by "Mike Green" <mgreen(at)iname.com>

 Date:  Sun, 24 May 1998 00:07:56 -0400
 To:  "JAmes Clark" <j_cclark(at)mail.lig.bellsouth.net>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Re: http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/5849

Hello James!

> month now and I'm looking to get some feedback on how to improve it.

Well, it's 11:30 PM and I am in the mood for some surfing (I gave myself a
day of and slept till 6 PM... woah, talk about being wired now). Let's have
a look, shall we?

* First thing I noticed when I entered your site were the banners. I'm okay
with banners, but you have two directly at the top, and after those the
actual site starts. I'd limit that to one - or just one at the top, and one
all at the bottom if you really wish for both banners to be on the main
page.

* Although the main page is clean and you don't need much scrolling (I'm
running in 800x600 24bit mode) I was wondering if this was the only page
available. Then I was like "Aha!, there's the menu!" -- Your main page has a
drop down list with the other pages on your site. At first I had no idea
what it was. Maybe it'd be nicer to do it a little different than that, like
having a plain menu made out of text/image links rather than a drop down
list.

* I wanted to see your awards, so I did. This page is pretty good! But after
I read the text, I wanted to go to another page. "How can I go back?"; I
couldn't find a menu or link that would take me back and decided to click
the back button on my browser. And just before I did that, I noticed a
"back" link on your awards page... all at the bottom.

* Babylon 5. This is a very good looking page with a nice layout. No links
cluttering the informational text and good looking' graphics. My first
thought on this page: "Why not design the rest of your pages like this one?"

* Ooh, Paranormal! This page also has a good layout, just as I found with
the B5 page. A good informational text and separated links. The best thing
about that is people will read your informational text first before "Oh, I
found a link, let's click it!", and forget about your site.

Well okay... I've got a pretty good idea about your site and what you can do
to improve. As I noted above, I had some trouble navigating your site and I
liked the layout of both the B5 and paranormal page. You could combine a new
navigation menu and the layout of those two pages easily. Exactly how is
your imaginative job, but a suggestion would be to have it in a clearly
visible spot, preferably at the top of the page. And by not just giving the
main page this layout and navigation, you will greatly enhance your whole
site and voila!

Regards,
  Mike Green