RE: Site critique/download time

by "Webmaster" <webmaster(at)webwham.com>

 Date:  Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:37:54 -0400
 To:  <HWG-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Maelynn,

Nice animation on the home page. There are a number of things I would
change, take them for what they are worth.

First off, the static print in the animation, while subdued in colour, is
too subdued for persons using laptops, or if their contrast and brightness
is not set high enough. I would bring the colour levels up by 5 - 10% on the
static words. I had to strain to see them.

Second, I would not mention the fact that this is a home office based
business. My philosophy is if you want to do work for the "big boys", make
them think you are in their arena. Visit my web site to see how I had a
professional Marketing VP word the page for me. Notice the lack of any
concrete information about how large we really are. There is a reason for
this. I did not want to alienate small clients because they felt we had a
staff that only worked at large projects and with big corporations. We've
completed a number of Intranets and I did not want the impression that with
the number of people we have, we couldn't service the needs of the small
shop as well. On the other hand, we also didn't want to be left out of the
race for larger projects (like the ones we are currently underway with.

I would avoid the persona that there are only 2 people in the company. This
may cause executives who are concerned with ability for you to provide
resources on a deadline, some concern. This has been my experience in the
past, with a few clients I approached, BEFORE the WebWham site was
"re-written"...

The site load time was very reasonable on my 28.8k connection, and the clean
layout was refreshing to see (not cluttered like my Williamsburg Community
Web Site - which will undergo an overhaul shortly).

NOTE: The way the graphic was created made me first think of handcuffs...
one bracelet being almost closed, the other wide open. I thought I had
stumbled upon a S&M site (just kidding)..

Gil Tennant
Webmaster at WebWham
http://www.webwham.com

Designing fine sites like the Williamsburgh Community Web Site -
http://www.williamsburgh.org

Duh.  [Hello? Bueller? Anyone?]
http://www.c3wd.ramlink.net

Sorry.