RE: critique please

by "Kane Satterthwaite" <kanes(at)btl.net>

 Date:  Fri, 4 Oct 2002 23:44:18 -0600
 To:  "'lori'" <emaillori(at)worldnet.att.net>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Lori,
I like how you offer an email for your references, it shows you have
confidence in your relationships with past clients.

I feel that your site needs a more professional spin (similar to last
post about tarketing a particular market or industry) and an 'updated'
look.  On that vein, I was surprised to find a typo on your left hand
side Animation button (as Animantion) (it is spelled correctly in other
titles and bottom text links).  Your code is flawless, but the 'design'
part is lacking - and this is something that draws in clients.  I
recommend a book - 'Pantone's Guide to Communicating with Color' - a few
good color combinations and a solid design concept should see you
through to a more appealing look.

I would have a few other people - business associates - review your
copy.  For example, on your Rates page, it sounds rather casual, 'sort
of the neighbor next door who does web designing'.  The first sentence,
'Every site owner has different requirements.' Start off very good. But
instead next I would say something like, 'we have experience in the
personal hobby site to the complex e-commerce website.  We can offer
graphic design... we will work to a customer's budget and often beat
your time requirements because of our hand-coding skill and error
checking...' or something along those lines.  Like they say on a resume
- use action verbs!  It might be an idea to have someone else write it -
which can make it sound more professional.  I found it very hard to
write my own copy for my site and even now it needs a rewrite!

Another consideration, on your Experience page you list 'domain name
registration' as a skill.  As a web designer, IMHO, I think this is a
service to offer, but not a 'skill' as it does not require an expert to
do it. Also, instead of saying Fireworks 2 I would just state Fireworks.
That is like saying I did work in 1998 when it is now 2002.  The
software probably works fine, I just wouldn't advertise it.  In fact, I
wouldn't give away any of your specific secrets that make you a better
designer - except that you can work through complex code in minutes and
your site loads on every browser there is!  So I'm not sure I would
mention you use templates to speed design.  As a client, I want my work
to be unique and custom.  If you were saying a client is offered
templates to use to expand their site, then I might mention it.  Anyway,
just from a client point of view that it how I would see it perhaps.

You have unique skills to offer and I think it is just a matter defining
your market, refining your text, and finding a design concept that
speaks to the customer with more than words, but images, text and color.
These additions don't have to be browser or bandwidth hungry.  With your
skills you could display them and optimize them with no problems.

Regards,
Lori Leugers
http://www.lolamediadesign.com