Re: Please review http://mp.web.go.ro

by "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isgwds.enterprise-plc.com>

 Date:  Sun, 30 Apr 2000 12:09:26 +0100
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)mail.hwg.org>
 Cc:  <mihaela(at)photographer.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Mihaela -

> After designing sites for all my friends, I finally created my own site.
> It is just intended to be a collection of all my interests, my resume
> etc etc. You don't have to like the content (it is not even ready). What
> I am interested in is the appearance, the Explorer/Netscape
> compatibility on different platforms and the speed.

Using IE5, 33k6 dial-up connection, Win 95C, 1024 x 768 screen resolution.

Initial page finished visual loaded in roughly ten and a half seconds
seconds - very nicely!

Subsequent pages took even less time to load, which I find incredible -
you've done a marvellous job of keeping the page sizes down.

Layout is clear, unambiguous, and easy on the eye. The graphics appear to be
restrained, tasteful, and well constructed, as is the javascript roll-overs
for the menubar on the right.

Following the links, you appear to have a couple of pages still under
construction. This is not a snag, at this early stage, but I'd populate
those pages before you promulgate the URL more widely.

> Following the e-commerce link you will find an online reasearch paper.
> Although it is in Romanian, it is my first site where I use style
> sheets, and I need some feedback on it.

Ah. Problem - no apparent stylesheet, either embedded, or linked.

> The url is
> http://mp.web.go.ro
>
> Please reply to my address as I subscribed to the digest version
> Don't comment the banner ads, I can't afford commercial hosting.

No problem; I've copied the reply to both the list, and your e-mail address.
Don't worry about the banners right now, get the site just right, and, when
you've got more time, start looking for a host/community host which offers
free hosting with no banners. I'm lucky in the UK, as there are several
'free' hosts, where all you pay for is the 'lo-rate' call charge, not a
subscription, however, I still have a subscription ISP, as it's better
service!

> BTW: does anyone know about a free hosting server with ColdFusion
> support?

I wouldn't mind knowing that myself! It is, however, damned unlikely that
such a host exists, as, unlike Apache web server, the professional CF server
has to be paid for, and a CF-trained webmaster paid for as well, to keep the
server up and running. A professional host is unlikely to run the CF Lite
server, as (a) it only runs on Win 9x and upwards, and (b) it's
unprofessional to offer a cut-feature server to customers (even non-payong
free hosting ones!).

Mind you, if I'm wrong (and I sincerely hope I am), I trust the list members
will set me straight!

> Thank you for your time!

No problem. Hope your weekend is a good one!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Webmaster,
the Impossible Scenarios Group
www.the-isg.co.uk
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this message may not
be those of the ISG.
may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy
this message, delete any copies held on your systems and notify the
sender immediately.
You should not retain, copy or use this email for any purpose, nor
disclose all or any part of its content to any other person.