Re: hwg-critique-digest V1 #249

by "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isg.abel.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 6 Apr 1999 16:46:30 +0100
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)mail.hwg.org>
 Cc:  "Natalie Verge" <nsv(at)mb.sympatico.ca>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Natalie,

>I have recently completed my first freelance site-for-pay and would like
you
>all to take a look. It's pretty simple (the guy has a home biz selling
>t-shirts) but I would appreciate all constructive opinions re: look,
>download time etc, etc.

NN4.06, 33k6, 40 seconds from the UK at 16:20 BST (GMT+1).

The background look was damn fine - It's restrained, loads quickly, and is
effective. The other imagery is what made this a 40 second load, although
I'm sure my loading time was increased by (a) the London bottlenecks at this
time of day, and (b) the US coming on-line within the last couple of hours
for their working day. I'd imagine your average home user won't find the
page loading in more than about fifteen or so seconds.

The site got it's message accross, no problems, navigation was clear, and
content tailored (sic) for the sunject. The tabular text on the ordering
page might, BTW, be a biot small for very-large-resolution monitors. The
flip side is that by re-setting the text to a normal size, you risk the
order form running off the right edge of lower-resolution monitors. On
balance, though, I think you've got it pegged about right.

>BTW, is it just me or does anyone else see the irony in using the internet
>for a strictly mailorder business - my client did not want to use an email
>form for orders, and is "concerned" that his e-mail address is on the
pages!
>EEEK!

What, is he worried that he's gonna get spammed by leaving his e-mail
address on a www page <grin>?!

If that were the case, we'd all be snowed under a heap of amazon (tm, �,
uncle tom cobbly and all) rainforest electrons by now!

Nice job - keep it up, and you'll be beating the punters off your electronic
doorstep with a baseball bat <evil grin>!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
ISG Web Design Services