Re: Critique Request

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_Sch=F6ning?= <gerhard.schoening(at)talknet.de>

 Date:  Mon, 12 Jun 2000 11:26:38 +0200
 To:  "HWG Critique" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Jenny!

----- Original Message -----
From: Toller <toller(at)ntlworld.com>
To: <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2000 11:27 PM
Subject: Critique Request

> If anyone has the time to take a quick look at this site, I would be most
> grateful:
> http://www.wren.f2s.com/testbed/dlk/
> The German Lutheran Church in Cambridge
>
> I would particularly welcome comments re usability and design. I can't
> change the content, order of presentation or amount of information on each
> page as this was all provided and they categorically do NOT want any
changes
> made. Also, this is my first complete site in XHTML, so I'm hoping that I
> haven't made any major blunders... :)
>
> The site is moreorless complete it but it still needs a final proofread by
> the Church - it's in German and my knowledge of this language is pretty
> basic. I did check out a few German sites and they do all seem to use
'Home'
> and 'E-mail' so I stuck with this practice.
>
> Thank you,
> Jenny

I'm German, I'm into XHTML, CSS, and accessibility... and I'm working on a
few quote pages for the small German Evangelic (Lutheran) Church of our
village right now - so it's a 'must' for me to critique your site :-)

BOBBY (http://www.cast.org/bobby/) reports no errors for priority level 1 on
all your pages. http://validator.w3.org/ confirmes all pages to be XHTML 1.0
Transitional, http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ says "Valid CSS!" and
shows only one warning:

URI : http://www.wren.f2s.com/testbed/dlk/dlk.css
Line : 80 Level : 2 You have some absolute and relative lengths in margin.
This is not a robust style sheet.

CONGRATULATIONS on this website with no errors a program could find ;-)
Maybe you think about the warning, though...

As to the German content - I would correct or reword a few expressions and
maybe sentences: for example, you have 'Bazaar' and 'Basar' (the latter is
correct), Abendsmahlsgottesdienst (drop the first 's'), 60-er (drop "-").
"...haben Sie eine erste Verbindung hergestellt - lassen Sie sich leicht
einladen, die Gemeinden n&auml;her kennenzulernen!" is one of a handful of
sentences that are "English" German ;-) - better:
"...haben Sie einen ersten Kontakt hergestellt - lassen Sie sich einfach
einladen, die Gemeinden n&auml;her kennenzulernen!"
Only a few of the sentences already mutated slightly to have English grammar
(word order), and there are many of those typical long, nested German
sentences - very good :-) BTW: the longest German sentence I ever read was
in a novel (end of 18th century)... it took 3(!) pages in a pocket book
(really, no kidding!!)...

"Home" and "E-mail/E-Mail/e-Mail/e-mail/Email/EMail/eMail/email" (up to your
taste, I saw them all) are typical words of what I ironically call "New
German"... just like all the other terms of Hi-Tech/Computer that have been
invading our country for decades ;-)

Well, I like the look and feel of your site very much! A handful of
well-done images that add to the information, clear content structure,
real(!) information... almost perfect :-) The font of the headings looks
beautiful - reminds me of the old Bible of grandma when I was a child!
IMHO, I would change the "gold" color of visited links as well as of
subheadings on page "Aktuelles" to a darker shade (maybe some ochre that
goes well with gold) for reasons of readability on the white body background
which I also would change to a VERY pale yellow like #fffff7 - it makes the
site look "warmer" than plain white - give it a try ;-)

ADDENDUM to personal posting sent a few minutes before:

If you keep

<?XML VERSION="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE PUBLIC HTML XHTML TRANSITIONAL//EN"
"HTTP://WWW.W3.ORG/TR/XHTML1/DTD/XHTML1-TRANSITIONAL.DTD" "-//W3C//DTD 1.0>
<?XML-STYLESHEET HREF="dlk.css" ? TYPE="text/css">
<HTML XML:LANG="de" XMLNS="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" LANG="de">

the lines with the question marks will show up as code lines(!!) on top of
your page in IE 3.01 (maybe in other older browsers, too). I only use

    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/strict.dtd">

and it workes fine with everything the pages got contact with (editors,
browsers, validators...)!

HTH, and keep your excellent work!

IE 5.0, WIN 98, PII 350, 256 MB
21", 32-bit colors, 1280x1024