Re: Help!

by "Comharsa" <comharsa(at)clara.net>

 Date:  Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:45:25 -0000
 To:  "HTML Writer's Guild Critique List" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Hi all...
>
> I am working on a site for a client and I need some help.  The site that
I'm
> working on is www.sanduskyhotels.com/demo.  I'm having a horrible time
> getting the site to do what it's supposed to do when browsed by Internet
> Explorer.  For example, the buttons at the top of the site have a
mouse-over
> effect.  Looks great if you use Netscape...doesn't work at all if you use
> IE.  The bouncing sanduskyhotels.com text looks great in Netscape...again,
> is off-centered and looks bad in IE.  Lastly, when you select one of the
top
> buttons in IE, a dotted line forms around the image and makes it look
> bad...doesn't happen that way in Netscape.
>
> I know these things are probably minor for some of you...and, actually, I
> hope that's true...that way it'll be easy for one or some of you to lend a
> hand.  Thanks in advance for any help that any of you can offer!
>
> Paul

I'm not an expert in JS but looking at the code you have there it looks as
though the swapimage code is Netscape only. It starts with:

if (browserName == "Netscape" && browserVer >= 3) version = "n3";
else version = "n2";

and then proceeds to work for those browsers where version = n3. IE is never
going to show version = n3.

Bouncing text was positioned and worked exactly the same for me in both IE
5.01 and NS 4.7 (though whether I would call it great is another matter
;-)).

The dotted lined around the links in IE are caused by the link retaining the
focus after they have been clicked. To remove it include the following in
each image tag:

onClick="top.focus()"

Now they should have the lines only while you are clicking them, lines
should disappear afterwards.

HTH

Brian
comharsa(at)clara.net