Re: The 'dinosaur' needs help!! :)

by ryan_fischer(at)juno.com (Ryan C Fischer)

 Date:  Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:29:23 -0400
 To:  alpha1(at)atel.net
 Cc:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
This is more appropriate for the -techniques list, but I'll answer now
anyway.  Feel free to move this thread there if you feel necessary.

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 22:43:47 Alpha Witch <alpha1(at)atel.net> writes:
>I was hoping to be able to request a critique today of the Foodbank site
>that I've been working diligently on ... but ... although I am able to
pass
>the HTML 4.0 specifications, I have two small (?) problems!
>The first is that there are two things that there is 'no way' I can get
passed by Bobby!
>Could someone PUHLEEZ help????? These are the errors that I'm getting:
> 1.A LABEL must be associated with the INPUT control.
to the Foodbank !"> </b> </center>
> 2.A LABEL must be associated with the SELECT control.
>     Line 82: Method that you wish to use for payment: <select
name="Card-type">
>I have tried to put <label> tags in, in just about every place but the
>right one obviously, but it's still NOT coming through, so I have now
taken
>the <label> tags out and tried again .. and, of course, the code is
still
>incorrect, but I thought that this might be easier to read.

There are two ways you can associate LABELs with FORM elements.
Explicitly, via the FOR attribute, and implicitly, by surrounding the
element and its label with LABEL tags.

Explicitly:
<LABEL FOR="input1" ACCESSKEY=I>Input 1: </LABEL><INPUT TYPE=TEXT
NAME="input1">

Implicitly:
<LABEL>Input 1: <INPUT TYPE=TEXT NAME="input1" ACCESSKEY=I></LABEL>

If you still have problems passing Bobby, let me know and I'll look
again.  It's been awhile since I've bothered with LABEL, so I might have
the syntax a little off...

BTW: FYI, IE4.x is the only browser that supports this stuff, so
hopefully you are testing you page in this browser to see what this
actually does...

Also, I noticed you used <P><CENTER> in your FORM.  I recommend you
replace this with <P ALIGN=CENTER></P>.  (Or better yet, CSS).

>The other problem I'm having is in this same form,  using the style
sheet I
>have specified 'arial' as one of the fonts ... but ... the text 'inside'
>the form is all 'default' text (i.e. Times New Roman, both at home and
at
>work). Is there a way to specify this text?
>Thanks for any and all help!
>Monica and 'dino'

Example HTML and CSS would be helpful.  Oftentimes (especially in the
case of Netscape) surrounding elements are the cause of these problems.
My guess is you have to add FORM, INPUT, and LABEL to the list of
selectors you have specified.

FWIW, the WAI WD is still a WD (working draft).  Though accessibility is
an important aspect of web design, it really isn't necessary to beat
yourself up over one or two errors.  Especially when they are errors as
trivial as these.  The case is the same for validation (though on a
smaller scale).  Any questions?  HTH!  ;-)

-Ryan Fischer
ICQ UIN - 595003
"Out of the eater, something to eat.  Out of the strong, something
sweet."