Re: critique of website

by Luke Opperman <luko(at)rocketmail.com>

 Date:  Mon, 1 Feb 1999 19:00:21 -0800 (PST)
 To:  Satch Reed <sfreed(at)doubled.com>,
hwg-crit <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> http://www.reedwebdesign.com

This is not bad looking. I'll just point out the things
that bothered me or could be improved.

The graphics on the first page are nice. Once we got into
the inner pages, all the images on the side looked rough.
Maybe it is just the font at small sizes (well, the circle
R thing looks rough too), but it bothered me. Try setting
a higher number of colors in Fireworks for the head image,
rather than using the same as the links beneath.

The java applet at the beginning just doesn't seem worth
it. Especially for all those poor people using Netscape :)
Java just takes too long to load, thank you very much. I
just don't think the java is that valuable to this site.

Why must all Flash sites be black? Your main site is quite
distinctive color-wise, but the black with red and blue
seems to be everywhere.

On each inner page, I feel there should be a a heading, to
anchor the top of the text. Right now it is just a bunch
of text, with white space above and below. No visual
interest. Speaking of white space, what is with the big
gaps at the bottom?

One final nitpick. I love Macromedia products, but
Dreamweaver's Javascript functions don't sit well with me.
Especially the image preloader. Why does it insist on
creating a new SCRIPT section for each preloaded image?
You can cut down on the file size a whole bunch by putting
all those lines into one. The function takes as many image
names as you want as arguments, just move all those file
names into one MM_preloadImages() call.

Looking good,

Luke

===

                - ( luke opperman ) -
     Spigot Graphics, Cohesive Design for the Web
          - ( http://spigot.hypermart.net/ ) -
      Viva La Revolution! Linux 2.2 and Beyond!