Re: Personal homepage critique

by Ray Dittmeier <ray(at)dancingmouse.com>

 Date:  Fri, 02 Jan 1998 17:47:09 -0500
 To:  Dougal Graham <dgraham(at)nfld.com>
 Cc:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:17 PM 1/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I would like it if someone could plese critique this page soon because i
>will be very busy when this weekend is over
>
>thanks in advance: Dougal Graham
>
>My homepage is at http://www.nfld.com/~dgraham

I like the overall idea behind the layout of the main page.  Loads fast,
lays everything out in a simple format.  The leaping tiger is great!

A few minor points:

Just for the sake of consistency, I'd move the Friends' Pages links and the
Mac Related Links onto the same page with "Links."  This is just personal
preference, though.

Voting is too complicated.  You have to click through two links just to see
what the topics are.  If you want to vote and see results, you have to do
too much backtracking to get to the pages you need.  I'd suggest taking
everything on the choose.html page and everything on the results.html page,
and combine it all into one page located where you have petition.html (that
is to say, directly off the home page's "vote" link).

Also, I don't know if it's just my browser (Navigator 4.04) or a problem at
your end, but the Warhammer results had a whole bunch of strange-looking
stuff that clearly didn't belong there.  And repeat the question when you
show the results.

Guestbook -- The graphic is nice, but I'm not sure its function will be
apparent to some of your less observant visitors.  The "Read Guestbook" and
"Sign Guestbook" text is small enough to get lost among all the scribblings
on the book pages.  Also, if there's some way you can limit the size of
guests' comments, you might want to think about it.

--Ray