Re: html editors

by Ross Andrews <webmaster(at)classicaldesigns.com>

 Date:  Sat, 18 Sep 1999 07:57:58 -0400
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

I think that you're going to get a plethora of opinions on this subject - I
think that it's most important to find an editor which matches your skills.
For example, Dreamweaver is great with making dhtml work for ordinary
people.... but if you're not interested in dhtml then a large portion of
Dreamweaver will be money down the drain. FrontPage can make an html novice
look like a pro, but it tends to leave you with a "clunky", or
cookie-cutter look. FrontPage can do some amazing things with it's
server-side extensions, but you had better have the Almighty on your side
if you have to troubleshoot one of those scripts!

Homesite is arguably the best editor for the money - It won't insert a lot
of fancy, pre-made scripts or graphics, but it is packed with editing
functions from the most basic to cutting-edge cfml tags and WDDX . It is an
editor that you will never grow out of and it allows you free range on your
html without trying to force a certain format on you. My Homesite came
bundled on my Dreamweaver software and I end up using more than
Dreamweaver! I have a friend who does a lot of work on Mac's and he has
made the same comment.

So, that's my ten cents - Find an editor that you can get comfortable with
and that doesn't cost a lot of money and don't look back.

Sincerely,

Ross Andrews
Manassas, VA
http://classicaldesigns.com