Re: 2 Step Critique for Sequent.Com

by Chris Messina <cmessina(at)sandstormpublishing.com>

 Date:  Tue, 02 Jun 1998 23:51:40 -0400
 To:  Nick Finck <nick(at)whitehorse.com>,
hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
<<http://www.sequent.com>>

800x600, 16mill, IE4, 28.8, Win95.

Sweet site! I remember looking at the old one and I remember it being about
8 miles long. Definitely an improvement! Great use of color, graphics, and
java. It seems like the main page is scalable, but it looks a little
rediculous to be honest. The red and blue extend to the right but really
serve no purpose... ie. it loses balance. Eitehr keep it all one width (ie.
600 px) or improve the way it scales at different resolutions. Loaded
quickly, even the with the applet.

Into the site, I thought it was nicely laid out there too. Your contact
form gets messed up at the bottom though. Down at the Products and
Offerings section, the options all get bunched to one side...

Take a look:

<input type="checkbox" name=server value="numacentre" ><font face="Arial",
"Helvetica">NUMACentre 2000<BR></font>
<input type="checkbox" name=server value="numa-q" ><font face="Arial",
"Helvetica">NUMA-Q 2000<BR></font>
<input type="checkbox" name=server value="ntx" ><font face="Arial",
"Helvetica">NTX 2000<BR></font>
<input type="checkbox" name=server value="symmetry" ><font face="Arial",
"Helvetica">Symmetry Family<BR></font>
<input type="checkbox" name=server value="dynix" ><font face="Arial",
"Helvetica">DYNIX/ptx Environment<BR></font>
<input type="checkbox" name=server value="remarket" ><font face="Arial",
"Helvetica">ReMarketed Systems<BR></font>
<input type="checkbox" name=solutions value="ds" ><font face="Arial",
"Helvetica">Decision Support<BR></font>
<input type="checkbox" name=solutions value="mm" ><font face="Arial",
"Helvetica">Mainframe Migration<BR></font>
</TD>

You do all these crazy things where you never seem to close your Table Rows
(TR). I would highly recommened changing that habit as it seems to have
confused IE4.

So where can I get one of those kickin' nav Applets??? I dig those
totally-a great way to navigate a site! The navigation does get a bit
overwhelming.. with the standard 11 links (not including sublinks) and the
side-navs... I'm not yet in the IT field (will I ever be?) but I don't know
if I'd be like, "Ok, now where do I go from here?" It's not like I'd feel
lost, but more like afraid of GETTING lost... Well, that's ok. With 5000
pages, who wouldn't be a little timid?

On another note, I noticed that on one of the Educational Services pages
(which happens to oddly break into frames--though not done poorly) you have
a link that simply sends and email... why not make that one go to a form too?

Ok, well that's all I have time for. Time to write my English Thesis paper!!

Chris Messina
Webmaster -|- Sandstorm Publishing
http://www.sandstormpublishing.com
http://www.sandstormpublishing.com/thecloset