Re: critisise my site??

by Liz Bartlett <khyri(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:55:11 -0700
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:32 PM 10/16/00 -0700, amit wadhwa wrote:
>anyone out there whos tried both fp2000, and dreamweaver?
>ive been told dreamweaver scores better points than fp2000. and how many of
>you would go for hand coding instead of using editors?

I haven't tried either, but we have one person here whose background
is FrontPage, and she's just starting to learn Dreamweaver in order
to be able to create sites with HTML closer to W3C standards. I
wouldn't touch FrontPage with a barge pole personally, but that's
just my emotional gut feeling :) You can spot a site made with FP a
mile away, unless the author is very skilled and experienced - and
if they are, they're probably not using FP anyway.

I have hand-coded all my HTML since 1994, apart from a brief period
using HotDog 1995-96. I just couldn't move to using an editor now.

My view is that even if you use an editor, you really need to know
HTML tags like the back of your hand in order to structure a page well
for interoperability with all browsers, and accessibility. I know
people with great HTML skills, who still use editors to quickly
create large tables. But I've also seen horrendous HTML output from
editors when people with no knowledge of HTML have structured a page
in such a way that the editor has no choice but to create "spaghetti
code".

I was once handed a file to place on the web, created in Excel. The
owner thought they would save me some time by "Saving as HTML..."
thinking I could then place it right on there, without any further
work. The content was simply two tables, each 3 columns by 15 rows.

The source code, as it was supplied, was 2244 lines of HTML tags and CSS.

Once I recoded it by hand, it was less that 100 lines.

Consider what effect that has on download time...

>i have also seen some of your sites, i mean all of you who have signatures
>attched with website names on it.
>they look kindda cool.

And here's more. Just a note which may (or may not) apply to the
others participating here. The sites in our .sigs - our own sites -
often don't represent our best work. I have sites that I do for myself
that I haven't updated since before CSS existed. Paying work for
clients always takes priority.

Comments on your site: Apart from the ones already mentioned, I would note
that you need to be careful with capitalization. Nothing says "unprofessional"
more quickly than starting a sentence with a lower case letter. And there
were a large number of examples of that on your site. Forgetting the
Shift key may be common practice in friendly email, and chat rooms, but
on a commercial web site the presentation needs to be as good as any
other type of promotional material.

--Liz