RE: the resolution fact

by Ian Douglas <ian(at)wildwebservices.com>

 Date:  Thu, 28 Jan 1999 00:25:42 -0500
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>MSNBC, Yahoo, Amazon books ... sell their products/services to
>their customers because people find the site easy to use and gets the
>information across.

Amazon.com has a design that allows for any resolution to be filled with
information ... doesn't matter how big your browser window is, it'll get
filled.  It makes you scroll for WebTV size though.

www.msnbc.com seems to want 640x480 at least.

www.yahoo.com makes you scroll horizontally even for 640x480... tsk tsk tsk.

Personally, I tend to design for 800x600 but squeeze the design smaller if
needed.  Kind of too bad that WebTV is out there at 540 (?) pixels wide for
their screen ... kind of limits what you can do with a design.  Heck, at
that resolution, microsoft.com, msn.com and msnbc.com make you scroll.
You'd think Microsoft would have been a little more on the ball with that
one, since they run WebTV... heck even webtv.com makes you scroll in WebTV
resolution.  How ironic is THAT?

I found a great utility, called BrowserSizer... it will open a browser
window for you (IE or Netscape) and resize it to 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768
and WebTV.  Great for seeing what your site looks like to everyone.  Great
tool for testing your designs.

http://www.download.com/PC/Result/TitleDetail/0,4,0-63126,1000.html?st.dl.td
l.bc.tdtl

$0.02