Re: critique commercial site please

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:26:16 -0500
 To:  "Peter Cutler" <pcs(at)pobox.com>,
"hwg-critique" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Peter,

800x600, Win95, 15-inch monitor, 26k (not a good day today).

The main graphic took awhile to load due to the slow speed. I also see
where you advise viewers to use 800x600 and 16 bit high color. That notice
has fallen out of favor, particularly with commercial sites, since you are
telling people with other configurations to not bother seeing the site.

The navigation also needs some work. That large graphic is a link, but I
didn't find it right away, I watched the truck move and I tried to click on
your check points, but until I accidentally moved my mouse the right way, I
thought this was the only page you had. Also, more and more people are
getting away from clip art in favor of actual photos. It would not only be
a better picture (yes, pun intended) of your business, but would also give
new viewers an idea of who they will be working with when they do call for
an order.

I found the *about us* page and it too is taking a very long time to load.
I tried running the page through http://www.cast.org/Bobby/ (or maybe
bobby), a web accessibility tool that also gives approximate download times
for a 28,800 modem. The site is currrently unavailable, but you may want to
check it later for times.

One other note, the Service is our Business line is underlined. On the web
most people will see underlining and assume it's a link.

The delivery truck is a nice touch and the background is a nice touch. The
green text on the beige background is very easy to read. The bold, italic
Arial font is a little harder to read on my end.

HTH,
Tamara