Re: critique request

by katsuey <katsuey(at)katsuey.com>

 Date:  Tue, 06 Jun 2000 00:31:15 -0500
 To:  hwg-critique(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:17 PM 06/05/2000 -0700, Bob Poston wrote:

>Please review and critique my site
>http://www.houseofcigars.com

Viewing WIN98, 800X600, IE 5.??, High contrast, windows colors

>Does it look professional?

for the most part, yes

>  If not, why?

Several graphics on the first page along with the Mustard colored
bar.  Graphic ovals need work, red is bleeding into the white around them,
Mustard bar seems misplaced on home page only, but it may just be because
of the poor graphics on the bar.

I personally think the little table with the table border showing is
amateur looking.  Either have no borders or colored borders (and then deal
with NN problem on colored table borders) May need to make it a graphic border.

There are several graphics throughout the site that need work - such as the
graphic at http://www.houseofcigars.com/accessories/prometheus.html  Gold
and green - needs to be smaller, no reason to be that big and looks amateur
for some reason, but your product graphics are great.

Another example: http://www.houseofcigars.com/index.html  Promethus
Lighters - drop shadow a bit heavy IMHO.

Something is wrong with this text on the home page - JUNE CIGAR SPECIAL
I think it's the font.

Bit of a slow load (checked in at Midnight with cable modem which means I
should have zipped right in, but button tabs etc. took awhile to load -
tried it several times)

Places where you have used graphics in place of text:
1.  Hurts you from a search engine position since engine won't read the graphic
2.  Increases your load
3.  Will be missed by sightless and image off surfers

You might consider finding a text based system that will still provide the
"zip" the little graphics do.

>  If yes, what do you like?

For the most part it's a nice layout and nice graphics. Great JS rollovers,
used well.  Just need to fix your Contact_Us in that script - don't think
you mean for the dash to be there in the actual text.

>Is it easy to navigate?

Navigation is fine for those with graphics turned on.  Don't forget your
slightless surfers and those surfing with images off.  In other words, add
a text based navigation system.

>If this were your site what would you do differently?

Sell coffee and get rid of the other stuff <g>  Your tab navigation is done
nicely but the color is "pukey!"  I'd try to use less graphics and more
text or work away to optimize the graphics better.  I'd certainly add Alt
Tags which you seem to have missed.

>Does it look trustworthy?

Not with merely 128 bit encryption, but I'm a real big critic on safe on
line shopping.  I'd not give you my credit card #.  Where is your privacy
policy?  A real MUST for a shopping site that collects data on people.

>Did the pages load quickly? If not, which pages were slow?

See comments above.

>Below are some tasks that might facilitate your review of my site
>
>1. Sign up for the free contest.
>2. Find the price for a Cohiba Robusto cigar
>3. Find a Corona Slim Boy lighter
>4. View the Savinelli Humidors
>5. View a Cassano verona pipe
>
>How long did these questions take you?