Re: individual talents

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Wed, 14 Jan 1998 07:47:29 -0800
 To:  Peter Knaggs <pjk(at)bcs.org.uk>
 Cc:  hwg-elections(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:47 p.m. 01/14/98 +0000, Peter Knaggs wrote:
>eva wrote:
>> Would you please define professionalism

>professionalism  n.
>	the qualities or typical features of a profession or of
>	professionals, esp. competence, skill, etc.

>profession  n.
>	1  a vocation or calling, esp. one that involves some branch of
>	   advanced learning or science (the medical profession).
>        [...]

Peter, what would your response to the following be?

     "The HTML Writers Guild is not a professional one, but
      an educational one -- by design, by charter, and by
      our legal/tax classification.  The Guild caters to a
      diverse membership, ranging from hobbyists, to those
      employed in other occupations who do web design on
      the side, to educators and students, and others.  The
      'true professionals', in terms of 'those people paid
      to professionally design web pages', may indeed be in
      _minority_ in the HWG.  How does your stand on
      'professionalism' apply here, and in practical terms,
      what do you intend to do regarding 'professionalism'
      in your role as a GB member?"

--Kynn, hwg member