RE: Issues up for vote

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Tue, 20 Jan 1998 17:06:14 -0800
 To:  "bart(at)bgrafyx.com" <bart(at)bgrafyx.com>
 Cc:  "'TANYA SPAIN'" <tcspain(at)unccvm.uncc.edu>, "hwg-elections(at)hwg.org" <hwg-elections(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:18 p.m. 01/20/98 -0500, B. Szyszka wrote:
>You can't get an accurate survey of what America thinks about abortion if you
>don't publisize it very well and the voter turnout is like one percent of the
>American population.

Actually, most scientifically valid surveys of the US speak
to far, far less than 1% of the population of the country.

>It /was/ mentioned. But not very often, IMO. The only place where I really
>saw it was hidden in the hwg-news newsletter.

"Hidden"?  It's been prominently featured in several hwg-news
posts -- the last three, in fact.

>From November 5, 1997:
>HTML Writers Guild Member Newsletter -- November 1997
>Volume 3 Number 6
>
>SPECIAL ELECTION NEWS ISSUE

>From December 11, 1997:
>HTML Writers Guild Member Newsletter -- December 1997
>Volume 3 Number 7
>
>**TABLE OF CONTENTS**
>
>1. Election Web page

>From January 9, 1998:
>HTML Writers Guild Member Newsletter -- January 1998
>Volume 4 Number 1
>
>**TABLE OF CONTENTS**
>
>1.  Governing Board Candidates
>2.  How to upgrade to Plus
>3.  Election Mailing List

This is not "hidden", Bart.

>Didn't remember seeing it
>anywhere else, but the front page of the HWG web site which I don't think is
>visited very frequently by the current (busy; with business or other HWG
>related things like the actual lists) membership.

Well, the HWG front page has it listed pretty prominently, and
it's been talked about on -ops; I'm not quite sure where else
you want it mentioned?

>You should definitly
>announce it another time on a dedicated -news message shortly before time
>for upgrading one's membership expires.

We've done it three times already; I'm not quite sure what more
you think needs to be done?  (Especially as those are the three
months before the upgrade deadline; it's been the top story for
each message on each of those months.)

>Perhaps it would be better if it were explained how this voting decision
>would effect me, the member.

You mean "affect" -- and in this case?  It might not directly
affect you, but it may indirectly affect you, depending on who
gets in office and what they do.

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)hwg.org>
President, HTML Writers Guild