RE: .EMF & .WMF files

by "Peter Williams" <Peter.Williams(at)hendersons.com.au>

 Date:  Wed, 3 Feb 1999 06:38:54 +1100
 To:  "M. Abed" <mistral(at)eisa.net.au>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Paintshop Pro will save your gig/jpg as a wmf.
www.jasc.com

>From www.whatis.com:
--------------------
A metafile is a file containing information that describes
or specifies another file.

Microsoft uses this term for its Windows Metafile (WMF) format.
A WMF file contains a sequence of graphical-device-interface (GDI)
function calls ("commands" to the Windows operating system) that
results in the presentation of a graphic image. Some of the function
calls are equivalent to vector graphic statements and others identify
stored bitmaps or literal specifications of which bits to illuminate
(rasterized images). Using WMF files rather than already-built bitmaps
saves space when many bitmaps are used repeatedly by different components
of the operating system or of an application. The WMF file assumes a
16-bit operating system. Microsoft has an enhanced metafile (EMF) format
for its 32-bit operating systems. Microsoft's clipboard (CLP) file can
contain a WMF file, an EMF file, or a bitmap (BMP) format file.

In general, there are tools (such as HiJaak) that will convert the
WMF, EMF, and CGM formats into other formats.

Peter Williams
LAN Support/Webmaster