GarBAge...

by "Spelaean" <webmaster(at)spelaean.com>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:46:20 -0800
 To:  <hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I have been asked by a business client who is an attorney to give him my
>recommendation on a medium-range word processing program that will handle
>average WP tasks around his firm. He is a sole practitioner and does his
own
>documents and letters.

MS Word is the way to go.  The whole Office suite is great.
I run my business out of Access.  I love it.

>I'm trying to get a graphic to "snug" up to the top of the page.  There's a
>margin of about 1/2 inch that lets the background show through.
>
>Is there any fix for this?

Try <body leftmargin="0" topmargin="0">.  I didn't see the page
that you're talking about, so I'm assuming this is what you mean.
If you want it in the right corner, use rightmargin="0".

>Would you all enlighten me on what the term "VECTOR" means? What is the
>difference between "vector" software and others?

The two formats are vector and raster.  A vector is composed of
nodes, shapes, color and shading instructions, etc..  A raster
is made of pixels.

>I have a graphic artist who will design some images for me for
>clients web page.  The web page is a simple design but the graphic
>artist wants to know what resolution and requirements he should
>make the image.
>
>Is there a standard /default image recommendations (ie GIF versus
>JPEG; standard/progressive encoding; etc). I hope this is not
>too broad/general.

Man, that ain't too good.  Let him know to keep all images at 72 dpi.
If it looks good at 8-bit, make a GIF.  If it doesn't, make a JPG.
I usually don't compress my JPGs, because compressed JPGs look
like crap to me.

>The URL is http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Lagoon/4771/index.html

The compliments:

1.  The graphics look good.
2.  The layout of the first page is not characteristic of a
     beginner.  Using the hspace to position the graphics
     was innovative.  While there are better ways to achieve
     that look, most beginners do not have that innovation.

The fixer-uppers:

1.  The site is a little too wide -- try to skinny it up a bit.
     Don't let the text span the entire screen.  Try pixels,
     not percentages, on the tables.
2.  The graphics are a little large.  They could stand to be
     about half the size.
3.  Go for a consistent layout throughout the site, each page
     is too different.
4.  This site would look better with sans serif fonts, like arial
     or verdana.  Sans serif fonts usually just read better on
     the web, anyway.
5.  Lose the background image.
6.  Lose the counter.
7.  Some more information is needed, upfront, and within.
     Where is the place, why do I want to go there, and
     how do I do it?  I want to know NOW!  That's the mentality
     of any online shopper.

The graphics give the site potential, though.  Good luck
on the development!

-Steve