Re: Transparent Drop Shadows

by "Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>

 Date:  Sun, 18 Jun 2000 13:20:10 -0700
 To:  =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane_Bergeron?= <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi St�phane,

I don't have any transparent PNGs to test with anymore (I junked them,
although it wouldn't be too difficult to make a new one). ALTHOUGH.... It
seems to me that one browser did indeed display a transparent PNG correctly
(or at least appear to), but for the life of me, I can't recall which one.
My comment, while it DOES state that a browser does indeed exist that can
display transparent PNGs, is meant more as a hypothetical aside to further
Ben's need for building transparent GIFs similar to how I suggested. Even if
we could find a browser that correctly displays PNGs, it would not be
supported enough to be worth the effort at this time. With so many odd-brand
browsers other than MSIE, Netscape, and Opera, while nothing is a guarantee,
SOMEONE is bound to have a browser that can display transparent PNGs...

Ah HAH! I found it! Back in April, I posted a question regarding transparent
PNGs to the techniques list, and Nik Gare said that he did, in fact, have a
browser that could display my test transparent PNGs. However, the browser
was called "Browse" and it ran on the RISC OS platform. Additionally, Nik
says the browser is no longer being made. :-(

Bummer...

Kehvan