Re: I need to do some file reduction.

by "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Wed, 13 Jan 1999 18:28:45 -0000
 To:  "Louis M Hall" <lhall1(at)midsouth.rr.com>,
"hwg-graphics" <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: Louis M Hall <lhall1(at)midsouth.rr.com>

>This past fall, if my memory is serving me, I had
>a number of .jpg image files that were too large.
>With a need to reduce the file size so as not to
>take forever and a day for down loads, it seems
>I not only reduced the size to meet this goal, but
>I kept some the same size while being able to
>reduce the number of pixels or something like that.
>I do not have a problem in reducing the size, such
>as number of pixels, by number of pixels, but it
>seems that there was another factor in determining the
>KB size of the file. My apologies for the lapse in terminology.

There are a few free online tools that will reduce the file size of your
images. Check out the following:
http://pages.prodigy.net/stanleysupport/onlinetools.htm

>It seems that the software I used had a choice
>for the "?compression", "?number of pixels".
>But I can't remember how I did it.
>I have LView 2, Paint Shop 3.12, Paint Shop
>5 (evaluation), Photo Deluxe 2.0., Gifcon32
>for Gif Construction.

As for PSP5, while saving as a jpeg, click on the options box to the
right, and you can specify your compression level. The lower the
compression, the larger the file size. As for optimizing gifs, open up
Animation Shop, that comes with PSP5, and pull your image up there, then
choose "save as", name your image, and click save. Then you will get
another options dialogue box for compressing. Either use the slider bar,
or click on Customize, and from there you have even more options.

HTH,
Cindy Stanley
http://pages.prodigy.net/stanleysupport