Re: Blade Pro[snip]Websafe colors,[snip]

by "Cindy Stanley" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>

 Date:  Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:36:09 -0000
 To:  "Terry Fowler" <trf2(at)rc3.mdc.com>,
"Spelaean" <webmaster(at)spelaean.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

From: Terry Fowler <trf2(at)rc3.mdc.com>
>I've been on this list for about a year and a half now and this
>last week is the first I've ever heard mention of "ring tables."
>So, what are they?

I think this was originally a comment on a page that had used tables to
set up "webring" graphics and navigation. I remember querying the same
thing Terry, and that is what I got out of it.

From: Terry Fowler
>Over the holidays I was visiting my brother-in-law and helping him
>get on line and such. He had bought a nice Gateway (Pentium II* with
>64meg of RAM, 6gig HDD, 56k modem) computer back in
>the summer. That's summer 1998. In checking out the system I found that
>it was setup at 256 colors, 640x480, and was running IE3.02 as the
>default browser. Out of the box! Again, this system was purchased
>summer of 1998.
>He had no idea that any of those things could
>be changed.  Very discouraging.

Yes, but so true. My sister's computer, just bought less than 2 months
ago, was set to default of 256 colors also. Due to this, I always try to
make a note to my viewers on my web pages, while viewing jpegs
especially, to please check your display settings to see if you are
viewing in at least high color 16 bit, or better yet, true color 24.

>* I couldn't tell what speed the CPU was. Anybody know how to
>  find that in Win95? Brother-in-law certainly didn't know.

When first firing up your system, you should see the speed of the CPU,
if you can read it fast enough. Also, I may be wrong about this, but I
think if you hit F1 while your system is setting up, you can go into set
up and check the speed there. BUT.... like I said, I may be wrong on
this one. My memory doesn't serve me too well on this one.

HTH,
Cindy Stanley
http://pages.prodigy.net/stanleysupport