Re: How do I convert .jpg text to .doc text?

by "Heather Peel" <heather(at)thenetnow.com>

 Date:  Sat, 9 Oct 1999 13:56:30 -0400
 To:  "Tim Newcome" <tnuke(at)mindspring.com>,
<hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

> I would like learn how to convert text which is trapped in .jpg format to
> .doc format.  I know that it is possible because I sometimes do it with my
> scanner in Word 97.  I scan a document and it automatically converts it to
> .doc file, with errors of course.  I can also do it in Caere Page Keeper
> 3.0, but only when I scan it.
>
> Basically what I want to do is do a screen capture on some text.  Crop it
in
> an image editor, and then convert it to a .doc file, fix the errors and
then
> print it.

Tim:

Is the text on a webpage or ??? Unless it is text that is inside an image,
why not just copy and paste it into Word ?  Seems like doing a screen
capture is an unnecessary step.

If it is text that is an image like .jpg or .gif then you will need Optical
character recognition software.  If it is an image, then you may be able to
copy it without having to do a screen capture.  Try right clicking on the
image and 'save image as'.  It sounds like you have OCR built into your
scanner already.  The OCR may not be able to convert your text from the .jpg
very easily though if the image is not a very high quality or if the text is
very small.....good luck, this can be very trying to do unless you have good
OCR software.  I know the one that came with my scanner is fairly mediocre
and results in many errors.

One other solution if it is on a webpage...find out if the creator of the
image has the text saved?   Wouldn't hurt to ask ;-)

Regards,

Heather