Re: matching colors

by "Captain F.M. O'Lary" <webmaster(at)canopy.net>

 Date:  Thu, 26 Mar 1998 16:09:47 -0500
 To:  "Peter S. Anderson" <panderson(at)quikpage.com>
 Cc:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello . . .

Here's the problem:
> On most monitors, the match between the color of the
> graphics and the underlying table bgcolor is good.
> But on some montors the table background color looks
> grey, which is definitely not a match.

The use preferences on the *individual browsers* are set to display Gray as
the default background color.

There is nothing wrong with the color pallet.

OH, and don't forget that BGCOLOR for this application is browser specific.
There are a BUNCH of browsers that are going to give you a "default" color
- woops.

HTH,
Fuzzy.

At 01:49 PM 3/26/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I checked out your page, and though the colors look very close, they
>don't match *exactly* ... This is not because you created them wrong but
>because i am not using the browser you are...
>
>I think that the problem is that the graphics were not created in
>"web-safe colors"  using the intervals of 00, 33, CC, 66, 99, and FF.
>Each browser will interpret non web-safe colors differently so to be
>able to control your colors in every browser you need to stick to the
>216 web-safe color set.  Your color: 80B1B1  could be converted to
>something like this to be close: 99cccc
>
>you could check out this link
>http://www.lynda.com/hexh.html
>
>or this one: (this one is a little better, but was busy earlier today)
>http://www2.clearink.com/lab/color/
>
>for a chart of non-dithering colors.
>
>hope this helps....   - PETE
>

>ci.lawrence.ks.us wrote:
>>
>> If this question is not appropriate here,
>> I apologize in advance.
>>
>> I've created a table with two cells (left and right).
>> The left cell contains graphics created in Photoshop 3
>> and, underneath those graphics, a bgcolor (#        ).
>> Both the bgcolor and the graphics' color of blue-green.
>>
>> Since the page runs longer than the graphics, the
>> underlying table color shows. Here's the problem:
>>
>> On most monitors, the match between the color of the
>> graphics and the underlying table bgcolor is good.
>> But on some montors the table background color looks
>> grey, which is definitely not a match.
>>
>> The page in question may be viewed at-
>>         http://www.ci.lawrence.ks.us/arts/
>>
>> Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!