Re: another Background Question

by Kevin Dyck <kdyck(at)styluscreative.ca>

 Date:  Tue, 31 Mar 1998 07:56:15 -0800
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

There are three problems with using a 600 x 800 background:
1. download size will be big, especially if you are using a gradient
2. many people use screen settings that are larger or smaller than 600 x
800, so it will appear incorrectly for them
3. the file size is the _compressed_ size - when the browser reads and
displays it the file is expanded into memory to a much larger size which
could put a big strain on the users system. For example, a 600 x 800 single
color GIF is only 2K, but it's size in memory is 1,407K. For users with low
memory systems (and there's a lot of them) this is a big problem.

Hope this helps.
Kevin