Well-designed sites

by "Dr. Jerry M. Obaldo" <tinola(at)pworld.net.ph>

 Date:  Wed, 11 Mar 1998 20:32:32 +0800
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:47 PM 3/9/98 +0000, Bob McClelland wrote:
>recent discussions on design (which are now banned!) lead me to suggest
>that, as a graphics list, we could suggest sites which are in our opinion
>superb for their  DESIGN. To this end, let me point you to:
>http://www.moma.org

After introducing ourselves to the list members
(which some, not me, found inappropriate) I agree that it would
be interesting to suggest sites that you think are well-designed.
Also, may I request that the reason for choosing the site be stated.
MOMA.ORG is probably fine, but when I visited the site I was
greeted by a 94K graphic file.  The system I happened to be on
at the time (486-66 DX2, 28.8 Kbps, NN 2, Win 3.1) choked and died.
I never got past the opening screen.  I'll try to visit again with
a more powerful system.
Style guides (in print and on the web) keep telling us to minimize
graphics.  Obviously "well-designed" has a wide spectrum of
interpretations.  I would like to see an example of a site which
"leads the eyes across the page", where color schemes facilitate
navigation.
For me, it is content that matters.  I happen to like to large
commercial sites which are utilitarian (probably designed that
way because of the high hit rate).  And they work from 640x480 up.

Pardon me if this is a little late, I get the digest.

Regards,
Jerry
(professional doctor, amateur website designer)