Re: Background Problem

by "Michael Zimmermann" <green(at)myna.com>

 Date:  Thu, 04 Dec 1997 05:57:42 -0500
 To:  Kathy <TSAntiques(at)usaor.net>,
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
i'm not sure what the problem was, but it could be the fact that you've got
row upon row of empty table cells -- i'm not sure, but you've got around a
hundred lines of

 270:   <TR>
 271:     <TD></TD>
 272:     <TD></TD>
 273:   </TR>

for no reason at all.. (the line numbers just got added when i cut and
pasted, i was referring to the TD's and TR's)

there's no doctype defined, so i didn't really take a good look at the KGV
(http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/~gerald/validate/) results...my best guess is
that it's all those empty cells.

the page also good an ungodly amount of time to load....if i hadn't been
there from the list, i probably would have left early. My suggestion would
be to get rid of all the table rows that are not doing anything, and throw
in a valid 3.2 doctype to check for little mistakes... the code seems
fairly secure as far as i can tell, but a validator will help you find that
one missing quote or bracket that screws up everything.. =)

the other thing i'd suggest, to you, and the list in general, is this:

PLEASE, don't use the height and width attributes of IMG to resize an
image.  there's no excuse for it, especially, as it happens in this case,
if the image is bigger, or is of a different proportion.  The reason that
photoshop is an image editor, and the 'resizing' results you get with a
browser will be notably inferior, will have a longer download time, will
take more of the clients' system resources, and in many cases will display
incorrectly or not at all on some browsers.

good luck,
Green