Re: Mouse v. Tablet

by "Michael Zimmermann" <green(at)myna.com>

 Date:  Sun, 07 Dec 1997 03:49:48 -0500
 To:  "Collin Lim" <collinlim(at)hotmail.com>,
hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:51 PM 12/6/97 PST, Collin Lim wrote:
>Fellow Photoshop Members:
>
>I'm wondering if most of you professional graphics designers use the
>mouse as the input device, or do you use tablet?  Does anyone know if
>there are special tablets made for Photoshop?  I'm looking into buying
>one, but budget is a premium.  Can someone suggest a specific low-end,
>yet acceptable make and model?

I'd suggest it's a bit pointless to skimp on the quality of the tablet --
if you can justify changing your input device, i'd suggest going with
something good right off, as you'll just find yourself a bit frustrated.
I'm not an authority on this, however, so you'll have to decide for yourself.

Wacom is to tablets  what Adobe is to graphics and design, so i'd suggest
you start there (they have a webpage, try http://www.wacom.com if memory
serves) and take a look at the specs of their tablets -- they've got all
the numbers that you'll need, and unlike many online presences, they give
you specific information that you'll be able to use.  The ArtZ series are
the industry standard, but i think they've got a lower-end model now that
may very well serve your needs.  If you plan on doing any original
non-vector work, i'd also suggest looking into fractal design painter, but
be warned, i found the learning curve to be really steep, compared to
photoshop -- but then again, i've had years to learn photoshop, and it has
trapped me to some extent into a certain mindset.  The features with the
media and brushes is unsurpassed, however.

i'd be interested to hear what you eventually decide on, and what your
thoughts are, keep us posted!

Green

[ New personal site at http://www.myna.com/~tempest/green/ ]