Re: Text pressed in background

by Candi McCann <candi(at)extremezone.com>

 Date:  Thu, 28 May 1998 01:24:12 -0700
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Julie,
I have a book, and they show a button that is sunken into the background of
the page.  I think this trick might work for you.  This is how they say to
do it.

You can do it with the use of a mask.  Have your text be on its own layer
above your background image.  Use your type tool mask to create your text.
Then airbrush/paint the color of your text...and do not deselect it yet.
go to Select-Modify-Expand   Pick 7 pixels as your expansion (possibly less
depending on how large your text is).  This is enlarge your text mask
enough to add the proper shadows.  Choose your airbrush tool, and choose
the "Behind" mode  ('behind' painting only affects the transparent or semi
transparent areas in a layer)  Use about 20% pressure and the middle row,
far right tip from the brush pallete.  Paint with your airbrush along the
top and right edges within your selected area with your shadow color.  Then
paint along the left and bottom edges with a highlight color.  The image
will appear to be sunken into the background that you have for your graphic.

Now, this example uses a box....so with text I would assume you want to do
the top and right sides of each letter.....so you will need to do each
letter seperately in your masking to make it come out right.  And since it
isnt a square object...you may have to play around a bit with how to
highlight and shade it properly.
I really hope that helps...it is probably a bit more difficult than you
wanted, and for all I know, there may be a plug-in for it.
Candi