Re: NS upgrade, more

by Roxy <4Roxy(at)autumnweb.com>

 Date:  Fri, 25 Feb 2000 00:31:01 -0500
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:56 AM 2/24/00 , you wrote:
>The Mozilla browser (not yet out in beta, current version M13 is alpha) does
>support fixed backgrounds. It is supposedly standards compliant, to such an
>extent that a lot of sites using DHTML will break in it due to the
>non-standard way they currently do things.
>... snip ...
>Brian
>comharsa(at)clara.net

Ohhhh, nooooo! Don't tell me!

Can anyone get word to the testers/makers? Netscape is going to loose *at
least* one more loyal, die-hard supporter IF it can't get the new version
to QUIT DYING when it encounters code that it doesn't like! If they can't
correct Netscape's *shudder of death* and subsequent lock up when
encountering something it cannot understand - they will push MORE *getting
tired of it* loyalists over to the other side permanently.

When viewing pages with tables, and the coding has problems (i.e. not
complete with all closing tags, etc.) it just doesn't display the page!
Fine! I know there's a code problem, so I have to fire up MSIE for visiting
that page/site.

Now, when Netscape encounters other bad code or some *current standard* it
doesn't understand, it locks up! It doesn't do any good to close the
browser and then reopen it again. Links won't work, bookmarks won't work -
other things won't work right again until I REBOOT. Sometimes I can't even
close the browser, nothing will work except ctrl-alt-delete (maybe!). I
have to shut down Eudora Pro, push the button, let the computer reboot, +
since it was *improperly shut down*, it runs scandisk, then I have to fire
everything back up again, go BACK to where I was before following the link
that caused browser death (therefore system death) and I am SICK AND TIRED
of it!

Currently using 4.7, I upgrade with newer versions when I've learned about
them, so we're not talking antique 2.0 user. Yes, I update and install all
needed browser plugins! System has: AMD K6-2 333, 192 mb sdram, Matrox G200
3D video w/8 mb ram, 1 mb cache on FIC 2013 motherboard. I have to have
enough computer to handle viewing the Internet, right?

Roxy
frustrated Netscape user
http://autumnweb.com/Roxys/