Re: problems with images in netscape?

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:34:21 -0800
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  Doris Kyburz <dorisky(at)lmi.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The problem has to do with platforms, not browsers.

There is a different Gamma correction factor to use between Mac machines
and PC machines.

You have a choice to correct for either, or attempt to find a happy medium.

However, ...

If the site is to sell his wares on the Internet, then check the site log
files to determine where the majority of customers are coming from, Macs or
PCs.  *If* you believe in current stats, set the web images gamma
correction for PCs.  The key is to set the correct gamma for the customers
and not the photographer/owner of the site.

See http://www.cgsd.com/papers/gamma.web.html for an explanation and photos
about gamma correction.