Re: Mac Zips and MS Frontpage (was: I sent this message out...)

by "Robin S. Socha" <robin(at)franck.pc.uni-koeln.de>

 Date:  11 Jun 1998 23:16:42 +0200
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
* degaard  <Robert> writes:

[FrontPage sucks]

> Okay, it makes a bad code, but i wouldn't say it is buggy.

Have you ever wondered, why there is no "uptime" command on Windows
boxes?

> I can partly understand that a lot of you don't like the idea of all
> the wasted tags it makes, but when I surf the net and get message
> after message that a Java script don't work or some plug-in messes
> it all up I don't get the point anymore.

Very strange logic here. Just because most people cannot code, it
doesn't mean the tools they use don't suck.

> A lot of the codes out there contains more crappy code then Frontpage
> would ever make.

A lot of the pages out there are written--no, painted--by people who
know fsck all about HTML. Fine. However, not knowing the basics will
inevitably lead to bad code. If you don't know about HTTP, how will
you insert a correct URL? If you only know "\" (if at all...), how
will you write correct paths?

> Btw, what basic function does Frontpage lack?

A validator. fdisk will do the job, but that's not really what people
want, I'm afraid. As for the rest... well, as any MS software,
Frontpage is a nice toy if you're into the M part of SM. If you're
attempting to do serious work (sites > 100 pages and such) and get
paid *real* money, you'll not use it or you're out of business within
minutes. Any experienced webmaster, armed with perl, sed, awk and
other nifty gadgets, will do your job in a fraction of the time you
need.

Anyway - that's OT here, so EOT. Reply via PM set.

Robin

--
Robin S. Socha		<http://franck.pc.uni-koeln.de/~robin/>
As in any programming language, the way to understand LaTeX is to