Re:

by Rob Bushman <rbushman(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Sat, 5 Feb 2000 12:42:25 -0700
 To:  Sharyn Hinchcliffe <sharyn(at)hcdesigns.com>
 Cc:  HWG Graphics <hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Rob Bushman wrote:
>
>third - open up your first image. process it however you would normally
>get from 24bit to 4 bit greyscale
>when you get to the end product BEFORE you save. hit stop recording on
>the actions pallette.

I think I've got the "recording an action" part down pretty good. I'm
just not sure of a few other things.

1) How do I convert a 24-bit color jpeg to a 4-bit grayscale jpeg?
Do I have to change it to indexed color first?
2) With batch processing in Photoshop, is there a way to have the
program "watch" a particular folder/directory, and when a new item is
added, the action will run?

I need to set this up in a lab setting where students will be adding
images to sort of "inbox" and they can get their processed images out
of the "outbox" after a few moments.