Re: Images for an etext

by Murray Altheim <altheim(at)eng.sun.com>

 Date:  Mon, 03 Apr 2000 22:56:04 -0700
 To:  Liam Quin <liam(at)holoweb.net>
 Cc:  hwg-gutenberg-dtds(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Liam Quin wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 03:03:04PM -0700, Murray Altheim wrote:
> > Unfortunately, there's no standardized way in XML to attach a notation to
> > a linked object, nor to anything except element content.
> This should be part of XLink, of course.  I don't know whether it will be.
>
> As for notations...
>
> In general, it's better simply to point at something, without saying
> what format you think it's in.  Served over the web, a png image might
> be converted to jpg on the fly, for example, or replaced by a textual
> description.
>
> The XML notation spec is not well done at all; it's best to avoid them
> altogether, I think, unfortunately.

Either that or try to fix them. I've considered asking Eve to take the
issue of 'DATA' typing (Section 4.4.3 of 8879 TC2) to the W3C Core WG,
but I think the general consensus is that it's unlikely the W3C will do
anything whatsoever to assist in the lifespan of DTDs, and my feeling is
that they would on the contrary do what they could to kill them.

I am very hesitant to advocate the approach taken by the W3C on their own
web site, as I think this is horribly broken (ie., it requires connection
to their web site for their pages to operate correctly, there are non-URL
URLs, etc.). But arguing about that is pointless, as I've found.

Murray

Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

   But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God,
   how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye
   desire again to be in bondage?  -- Galatians 4:9