FW: Bogus Character References (was: ...Preserving White Space...)

by "Bryan Sherman" <bsherm(at)one.net>

 Date:  Mon, 7 Feb 2000 16:41:29 -0500
 To:  <hwg-gutenberg(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Oops,

this didn't go to the group the first time.

I would personally be interested in knowing the reason why 128-159 are wrong
(I had heard that, but do not know why).

The problem that this problem is trying to solve though is the use of
different style quotes...

are : &rdquo; &ldquo; (right and left double-quote)
	&rsquo;&lsquo;  (right and left single-quote)

acceptable uses? I am warned that they only work in unicode/DBCS browsers.

The issue R. Ivan addresses is the use of the angle quotes in parts of
europe, and the fact that standard quote (") is not easily translated into
left and right angle quotes (��).

And I apologize for the North American-centric use of "normal quotes" <g>.