Re: Potential Gutenberg signout

by "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman(at)ix.netcom.com>

 Date:  Fri, 25 Feb 2000 19:59:21 -0500
 To:  "Terence de giere" <terence(at)humanfactors.com>
 Cc:  <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>, <hwg-gutenberg(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> This Gutenberg ASCII transcription appears to have the page numbers of the
> orginal source publication.

In some books page numbers are very important (e.g. A facsimile of the dead
sea scrools or some other manuscripts), and this will need to be faced when
we get round to writing a new DTD, although in that case it may be better to
use a DTD such as TEI.

In this case though the page numbers are really discardable for the reasons
you mention.

However the Gutenberg blurb instructucts us to make faithful copies of the
Etext! In fact the 'page' element was designed to be used for places where
you wanted to retain the page numbering. Just enclose the page number in the
'page' element, (it would have been better named 'pagenum') and then when
you use your style sheet you can either declare it as a block element, or as
display:none. :>)

If there are just occasional page numbers it is better assume that these are
retained in error when the page was ocred, and to just eliminate them
(making note of the fact you have done this in markupblurb).

I leave it up to you which course you adopt!

The Etexts vary a lot in quality. The Kipling 1vol set that I have just
finished marking up is a mess in places, and really needs to be rescanned. I
adopted the later course. In marking up the 'Scarlet letter' i am adopting
the former!

Frank