Re: One language vs. another on the Web...

by "Cyanide _7" <leo7278(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Mon, 20 Mar 2000 14:45:45 CST
 To:  armadill(at)earthlink.net
 Cc:  hwg-languages(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
i disagree. the major advantage java has over c++ is that it is platform
independent. you can create a mutitude of Java applications and run them on
Macs, Linux, Win32 all the same because it is the JVM (Java Virtual Machine)
that is written differently for each platform. basically, java is only
compiled to a byte code level as opposed to assembly code if i recall, and
it is the JVM that completes this last process.

it's in my belief that all C based, BASIC and the like applications will be
replaced with Java versions and all platforms will have a JVM installed. no
more will we have to write 5-10 different versions of a program to account
for the different Operating Systems.

i don't know about one being *better* or *easier* to develop than another,
but i'm leaning toward Java. - Cyanide_7