Re: Could this virus exploit end up embedded ...

by "Cyanide _7" <leo7278(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Sun, 07 May 2000 20:48:27 CDT
 To:  kathyw(at)home.albury.net.au
 Cc:  hwg-languages(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
im inclined to say that the vbs (as i recieved it) seems to be a server-side
script. also, i'd imagine that the script would *have* to be executed localy
in order to modify the client machine. it is run by (at least on my machine)
either c:\windows\WScript.exe or c:\windows\CScript.exe (Windows Scripting
Host). so as far as such a malicous script being embedded in a web page, i
seriously doubt it! no server-side scripting language i know has permission
to edit the regestry! hope this helps. - Cyanide_7

PS: the script itself does damage to jpgs and mp3s and remails with the
outlook address book, but it also downloads an executable which i believe is
responsible for a majority of the system damage. im not speaking from
personal experience, but i played with the source for a while.