Re: Pop up ads.

by Susan Vollmer <susanvollmer(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:14:43 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  Mike Taylor <lonewolf(at)one.net>
 Cc:  hwg-languages(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

--- Mike Taylor <lonewolf(at)one.net> wrote:

> I'm hoping that if there's some statistical proof
> out there to support the
> obvious, I could at least have some leg to stand on.
>  Again if anyone
> knows of such statistics, please share.

Hi Mike,

I was able to find the following article titled "Pop
Goes the Interstitial" from EMarketer.com.  This
article has statistics you can reference.  A key point
is while pop up ads do get a person's attention, the
consumer views the company using such techniques in a
negative light and does not perceive the company as a
market leader.  The url is:

http://www.emarketer.com/analysis/eadvertising/20010607_ead.html

Why don't you give your boss some options to consider
such as:

--This might be an opportune time to have usability
testing done with your current and / or prospective
customers getting their input on pop up ads and of
course the overall features of your site in meeting
their needs.

--If you can't afford testing, perhaps there's a local
web design group where you live where you can request
volunteers to look at your site as if they were your
customers.

--If the company wants to place a special offer in a
small promotional window, let the customer control
when and if the ad pops up.  Describe on your normal
page what it is your offering and for more details,
click on the link below to open another window.
People who have a need or interest in the product or
service will click on the link.  Then they will not be
surprised nor annoyed and be more receptive to the
message.

Hope this helps.

Susan V.
http://www.fallenmartyrs.com/heroestributefinal.htm