Re: Those F*@$!*&% pop up ads.

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:15:51 -0700
 To:  <hwg-languages(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  jim barchuk <jb(at)jbarchuk.com>, Mike Taylor <lonewolf(at)one.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
One of the hardest obstacles to overcome when designing and maintaining a
site is to somehow convince the boss to BUTT OUT! :)

Seriously, what is the purpose of the site?  Is it to please the boss and
stroke his ego?  (Yes, I used the male pronoun because in my experience
it's all about the male ego.  I have yet to find a female boss in a similar
position who cannot see the forest for the trees.)  A site remains viable
only if it attracts and holds customers and clients.   The site is designed
for the users who bring the money to the organization and not those who
spend it.

However, I am no spring chicken at this game and totally aware of the
dynamics of internal politics and company power games.  But I guess I have
been extraordinary lucky in that I've had CEOs (and similar animals)
sufficiently comfortable with themselves to not impede nor annoy their
professional web team so as to interject based upon their nosebleed rung in
the ladder.  In fact, in one team we told the boss to take a flying
leap!  He later apologized for interfering.  :)  (It also pays to arm
oneself beforehand with the necessary resources to convince the boss we
*really* do know this part of the company better than he ever will, too.)

Dennis