RE: setting up servers

by "Jason Brett" <jbbrett(at)zigzagnet.com>

 Date:  Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:32:29 -0500
 To:  <hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

Hi all,

I'm interested in this subject as well. I'm looking for a checklist of all
the things I need to learn in order to set up and maintain my own
commercial-grade server. I'm not interested in co-locating, because it's not
really cost effective for my needs. I'm gonna hook up on a DSL connection
for now. Good overall documentation has been hard to find, but I do know
this:

I'm planning to set up a Linux box with Apache, sendmail, perl, php, telnet,
ftp etc. Obviously I can work with the documentation for each of these
products, but can anyone recommend a good general source for educating
myself? (I haven't found a "Setting Up A Web Server For Dummies" book yet,
but I've generally found that series to be great for getting me started and
pointing me in the right direction for more detailed resources. Is there any
website or book that would take it to that level for me?

Regards,

Jason Brett
ZigZag Internet Solutions
Powerful Solutions. Explosive Results.