Re: H e l p on httpd.conf

by "Lyle Giese" <lyle(at)lcrcomputer.com>

 Date:  Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:48:59 -0600
 To:  "bo" <bo(at)sosnetwork.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Based on what you are trying to do(you didn't tell us much), you are looking
for some stats on how the system is doing.  These programs need superuser
access to do what you want.  Apache runs under the user id of 'nobody' and
has limited system access.  This is done for a very good reason.  It's
called security.

To get around the security issue while providing the system stats, maybe run
these processes as a cron job and just make the output availible to Apache
to display for you.  This would allow you to get the information you need
without compromising security on your system.  And trust me, if you allow
'nobody' access to too much of your system, someone will find a way to break
in and take over your server.

Lyle