Re: domains without www.

by "John Romano" <jromano(at)pb.net>

 Date:  Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:25:27 -0500
 To:  "beth" <beth(at)netstat.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-servers(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Beth,

Common practice? Many hosting providers DO assume that clients want a
responsive domain name as well as www.domain name.   Is it a wise thing to
do? Absolutely.  The WWW's have begun to wear thin on the ears, eyes and
fingers of just about anyone who has been online for any length of time.

As far as DNS issues go, no.  Having both www and non www addresses has no
effect on DNS.  Configuration differences on DNS would be minimal.  Config
differences on the web server would depend on the set-up (host header vs. IP
multi-homed).  Host header would require a small configuration addition, IP
multi-homed would not.

I hope this helps.

John Romano
www.lihq.net